In terms of the options available on the market today for tubing, there are many to choose from for applications ranging from automotive to industrial, architectural to medical and everything in between. Because of their unique characteristics of versatile nature, aluminum tubing is one of the most popular choices. There are a wide variety of applications for aluminum tubing, and many people opt for this type of tubing for their projects because of aluminum’s strength, ability to resist corrosion, and lightweight. If you’ve selected aluminum tubing for your next project, you may be wondering how to connect and join aluminum tubing. Below we’ll take a look at how to use aluminum tubing connectors to join aluminum tubing, as well as the steps to take to successfully join aluminum tubing using connectors.
How to Use Aluminum Tubing Connectors
An effective method for connecting aluminum tubing, particularly square aluminum tubing, is through the use of tubing connectors. Square aluminum tubing has a wide range of applications, capable of creating framing structures for things like storage racks and event tents. Because of their lightweight nature, this type of aluminum tubing is the optimal choice for structures that require assembly and disassembly. For such applications, tubing connectors are a great choice. Tubing connectors work by having opposing plugs that securely fit into the ends of two or more pieces of aluminum tubing. Once the sections of tubing are attached to the connector, a joint is created.
Most aluminum tubing connectors are constructed from durable nylon material, ensuring they hold their position as long as needed. Connectors are the go-to option for connecting aluminum tubing because they are available in a variety of styles, making it easy to find an option that suits your specific needs. For example, there are tubing connectors that range from one-way all the way up through six-ways, there are connectors that accommodate corner joints and straight joints, and there are even hinged connectors.
Take the following steps for joining aluminum tubing for a strong and durable structure:
- The first step to connecting aluminum tubing is to cut your tubing to the desired length. You can enlist the help of a hacksaw or chop saw with a metal blade to cut your aluminum tubing. When using a chop saw, always make sure your tubing is clamped down. When cutting your tubing, make sure to take into account the width of the solid section of the connector you plan to use.
- Next, remove any sharp edges of your aluminum tubing. You can remove shards on the tubing by using an emery cloth or metal finishing pad.
- After you’ve removed any sharp edges from your tubing, it is time to attach to the connector. Using just your hands at first, push one end of the connector into a section of aluminum tubing. Make sure to hold the aluminum tubing tightly. Push the connector into the tubing until the connector is fully seated.
- Using a rubber mallet, hammer the connector into the aluminum tubing the rest of the way. Once you have a snug fit, you can stop.
- Now, push the available end of the connector into another section of aluminum tubing. Using your rubber mallet again, hammer the end of this piece of tubing until it is snugly attached to the connector.
- Continue to add connectors and sections of aluminum tubing until you have created the desired structure.
Other Ways to Connect Aluminum Tubing
While purchasing aluminum tubing connectors is the most cost-effective method, there are other ways to connect aluminum tubing as well that you might consider. Aluminum tubing can also be welded, however, this method requires professional expertise and a host of expensive equipment.
Aluminum Tubing Connectors from Eagle Mouldings
Eagle Mouldings has an unmatched selection of aluminum tubing connectors available in a variety of styles to help you achieve your next project. You won’t believe our selection of nylon connectors, ranging from straight joints to 6-way 90-degree connectors. Our experts are standing by to answer any questions you might have and to help you determine the options that are right for you. Contact Eagle Mouldings today!